Facts & Technical Details:
- Total area of landfill Cell 1a: 165.500 m2
- Total capacity of Cell 1a: 3.100.000 m3
- Total surface area of Cell 1a: 118.772 m2
- Maximum elevation: 97.42 m altitude
- Surrounding surface level: 64.00 m altitude
- Planned operation of Cell 1a: 2007 – 2011
- Construction work started in summer 2007
- Project handover to Be’aah (Sharjah’s Waste Management Governmental Entity) took place in spring 2008
- Analyzed and designed the necessary excavation work to maximize the landfill volume
- The bottom of the landfill was sealed by a combination of bentonite mineral liner and HDPE geo-membrane.
- The liner was protected by a layer of geo-textiles on which used tires are placed and filled up with clean gravel.
- Installed leachate collection system, side partitions, and provisions for future LFG collection